Poisoning Small Animals

Certain common household items are very poisonous to pets, for example: slug pellets, chocolate, antifreeze, raisins, lilies, liquorice, human medicines.

PREVENTING POISONING IN THE HOME:

  • Keep all medicines out of reach – preferably in a locked kitchen cupboard
  • Keep human and veterinary medicines separate
  • Never give animals medicines intended for human use – only medicines prescribed by your vet
  • Some foods (for example, chocolate, onions, grapes, raisins, sultanas, avocados, certain nuts, liquorice, xylitol-sweetened foods and sweets) can be toxic. Do not allow animals access to foods intended for human consumption. Pets should only be given food and treats formulated for animals
  • Some plants are hazardous (for example, lilies to cats, daffodils) – keep houseplants and floral displays out of reach of pets
  • Restrict access to cleaning, DIY and car products (for example, fuels, antifreeze, white spirit and lubricating oils).

PREVENTING POISONING IN THE GARDEN OR OPEN SPACES:

  • Prevent access to gardens where pesticides or fertilisers have recently been used, especially slug pellets and rodent baits. Placing them in narrow tubes etc can reduce access to such baits.
  • Keep pesticides/herbicides in a safe and inaccessible place – away from all pets
  • Never leave buckets or watering cans full of mixed chemicals
  • Do not allow animals to drink from ponds/puddles that appear oily or otherwise polluted
  • Be careful not to leave plant bulbs lying around.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU THINK YOUR ANIMAL HAS BEEN POISONED:

Don’t panic – remember, few cases have fatal outcomes and few poisons act very rapidly.

  • Remove your animal(s) from the source of poison – protecting yourself if necessary
  • Contact your vet for advice immediately, especially if your animal is unwell, and be ready to provide information on when, where and how poisoning occurred, as well as the quantity consumed
  • If instructed to go to the practice, take a sample of the poison and the packaging with you
  • If the skin is contaminated then wash thoroughly with WATER
  • DO NOT try to make your animal vomit – unless you are instructed to do so by your vet.

If you suspect your pet has been poisoned arrange to transport your pet to our surgery immediately.  If you can, telephone us on 01291 672637 and let us know what your pet may have taken so that we can be prepared to treat your pet with the minimum delay.

Our Main Vet Centre in Usk is supported by surgeries in Caerleon and Pontypool

Which enable us to provide veterinary services throughout Monmouthshire, Newport and Torfaen including Abergavenny, Gilwern, Goytre, Cwmbran, Chepstow, Blaenavon, Blackwood, Newbridge, Risca, Magor, Caldicot, Tintern and Trelleck.